About | | News | Writing | Contact

Going, going

Gone Gone should be appearing in shops soon – it’s officially out next week, and I am in Melbourne right now for a few interviews, interspersed with some very important eating missions.

Alice Springs has been in the news a bit lately and i am getting asked about it during my interviews about the book. I suppose there is always an element of representing Alice to the rest of the world. People keep telling me it is “a wild place” – i don’t think they are referring to the wilderness. Instead of getting mad at them I’ve been writing about it for new matilda.

There are horrible things going on in town. We do need to work this shit out. But none of it is new.

The urgency and hysteria of Rothwell’s piece reminds me of his work in 2007 and I am worried about the agenda behind it – what kind of interventions will they be pushing next? I am also worried about the racist element in Alice being stirred up… i’ve written about it before, (eg for overland), and i am afraid the damage that has been done to the relationship between black and white in Alice is going to be exacerbated. Hopefully federal Labor will prove less inclined to military solutions and the manipulations of the corporate media. We shall see.

Meanwhile, i’m here to talk about the book! Gone is out on Monday, so ask at your local, independent, non-bankrupt bookshop.

8 Comments

1. Hugh wrote:

Jen

I wondered about the title – for a truly Australian flavour could it have been spelt phonetically? ie. ‘Gorn’

Anyway – what a great interview today on the ABC – loved those sharp insights – may your books become movies and vehicles for social change.

warm regards

Hugh

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
  2. Alex wrote:

Hurrah! Can’t wait to read it – just trying to decide where to buy it from!! Is it at Red Kangaroo?

Friday, February 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink
  3. Alex wrote:

ps great interview. love your work.

Friday, February 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
  4. jenjen wrote:

best ask the bookshop if they have it, too far down the chain for me to know. but fyi probs not in borders x

Friday, February 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink
  5. Izzy wrote:

Good on you Jen…..saw you in MX yesterday.
    looking forward to getting my hands on the book. heading to a book launch 2nite at 24moons in AC/DC lane…yes sounds like a skit from “police academy”. my Nonno’s legacy will be honoured even tho he passed away 2 decades ago….I’l be there and he’l be smiling. Keep up the good work…..yr amazing….yr skill, the way uou transport people to another place and yr eyes are so mesmerizing, good luck….ciao Isa

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink
  6. Ric wrote:

Hi Jennifer I heard you today on the Book Show and couldn’t resist making a comment I was so enthralled with your insights into the characters and also your intuitive response to some questioning. I was thinking of going walkabout and would like to put Alice on the itinerary but upon hearing your reference nothing but a ‘rock with some sand around it’? shouldn’t I be spending more time on Bondi instead. going in to have a look at your book for sure

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink
  7. jenjen wrote:

thanks all! Alice is beautiful and well worth a visit. happy reading.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink
  8. Sarah wrote:

sina and i just listened to you on the radio! how exciting!!!

Friday, March 4, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink